Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A month of progress

Wow...time sure flies when you're having fun! I've had a busy month, and my first experience with SNOW! I am not sure I like it, but Christi no longer has to shove me out the door to do potty. Speaking of potty, I am totally housetrained. I have never had an accident in the house or in my crate. I still rip my blankets, but I am doing it less and less. Christi plays some clicker games with me and I also have gone to two obedience classes. Christi no longer makes the sound effects from 'Jaws' when she gives me cookies. I haven't figured out why she did that, but she also said something about being happy to keep her fingers. I know my name! I come to my name (most of the time with no distractions) I know 'sit' and 'down' and I know the beginning steps of heeling 'with me' and recall 'come.' I love playing these games. The first night in class, we noticed I have a few issues, which Christi says are workable. I don't like dogs and people that move fast. I lunge and bark furiously when people run, especially kids. I also don't like a flat hand above my head. So, I am starting to play games with a little movement and hands up in the air, and I am tolerating Christi doing these crazy motions. I walk up and down the stairs now. I didn't vomit in the car the past two rides so Christi's driving must be improving. I am learning 'stay.' Christi is sooo proud of me because now I will sit and stay while she opens the crate door, and I'll come out of my crate when she taps my chest and says 'OK.' I don't know why knocking her over when I came out of the crate was a problem, but she likes the new way better. I have been a good boy in class. I am a little curious, but I don't lunge and pull on the leash. I am definitely doing better on a leash. I like the other dogs and have done a little kissing, but I don't like it when they get in my space uninvited. I tolerate it, but Christi knows I am unhappy by my tail posture. Interactions are closely monitored. I love it when people pet me. Christi thinks I need lots of petting to increase my confidence and acceptance of humans into my life. I have never tried to bite Christi or anybody else. I really try to take those cookies nicely now because I hate being called a Toller-shark mix. I prefer to be called a Toller-Golden mix, but who knows? The vet thinks I may have some spaniel in me. Christi says she loves me even though I am not pure bred. She says I am a dog who wants to do the right thing, but I don't have a clue. Well, I think I am getting better every day. Life is good here in Ashburnham, even though there is lots of snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment